Employer / Self-employed person

I work in the transport sector. Does this mean I have to notify?

If you are working in freight transport, you must notify yourself. Some transport sectors are exempted from the notification rules.

One-year notification

You can use a one-year notification if you work as an employer abroad or a self-employed person in the freight transport by road sector (General Industrial Classification of Economic Activities within the European Communities group H 49.4).  This also applies if you provide services on behalf of a service recipient in the Netherlands.

As an employer abroad you will, from 2 February 2022 onwards, also be able to make a notification using the new European portal for transport activities Road Transport – Posting Declaration covered by the new Directive 2020/1057/EU. This concerns cabotage and non-bilateral transport. Should you notify using this European portal, you do not have to submit a one-year notification via this site.

No duty to notify

You do not need to notify your services as an employer abroad or self-employed person in any of the sectors identified by the following SBI codes (SBI is the Dutch version of the General Industrial Classification of Economic Activities within the European Communities, or NACE):

(H) Transport and storage, groups:

  • 49.1 Passenger rail transport (not tram or metro);
  • 49.2 Freight rail transport;
  • 49.3 Passenger transport by road;
  • 49.4 Freight transport by road, provided that such work consists exclusively of transporting goods through the Netherlands without loading or unloading in the Netherlands;
  • 50 Water transport;
  • 51 Air transport;
  • 53 Post and courier activities.

You must notify if you work in one of the other categories.


You do not have to notify if there is no loading and unloading in the Netherlands (in transit).