Employer / Self-employed person

The information about me in the portal is incorrect. Can it be changed?

If the notification is incorrect, ask the employer abroad who has made the notification to amend the details.

If the employer abroad refuses to do so, you can submit a reasoned request to the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment to get your details changed. For the Ministry to be able to respond as efficiently and effectively as possible, it is important that your request be accompanied by a copy of a valid proof of identity, for example, through the KopieID application for smartphone. Without a valid ID, your request cannot be dealt with. Once your proof of identity has been established, the copy of your proof of identity will be deleted immediately. See also the privacy statement of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment. Employers abroad who do not amend the notification after receiving a reasoned request may receive a fine from the Inspectorate SZW.